This is the only known assembled CASINO collection in the world and is truly
"One of a Kind - Unique and Rare"
In 1952 the FBI headed by J Edgar Hoover destroyed most of the gaming tables and One Arm Bandits during their crack down on illegal gambling. It is a miracle this collection survived the massive destruction. It was hidden in the New Orleans warehouse district until going on display at the Bella Rose Mansion in Ponchatoula, Louisiana.
The 1949 set of 5 Indian Chief One Arm Bandit Slot Machines are offered for acquisition separate from the gaming tables. They are in 100% original pristine condition, all working and have the original old coinage in the viewing panel in front of each machine mixed in with the newer coins as the machines were played over the years. They are encased in their own mahogany cabinet The original keys plus a spare set is included. I was lucky to have Mayor Dufresh of Ponchatoula on hand to keep them serviced and in pristine condition when they were on display at the Bella Rose Mansion.
There is a 5 cent machine, a 10 cent machine, a 25 cent machine, a 50 cent piece machine and a silver dollar machine. They were manufactured by the Jennings Company in Chicago. Deputy Chief Joe Crittenden of the Cherokee Nation said he thought they represented the 5 peaceful tribes of Native Americans.
Three term Mayor Ralph James acquired this vintage "casino" in 1986 due to his friendship with Jefferson Parish DA Jim Garrison. He used the tables to have exclusive Monte Carlo Nights at his estate in Ponchatoula, Louisiana raising money for his favorite charities. Jim Garrison rocketed to fame when he challenged the Warren Commission on JFK's assassination. Oliver Stone made a movie of the events in his film JFK.
****An excerpt from Miami Historian, Roland Castro's appraisal reads: "Since this is a luxury item, the economy, as a whole, does not diminish the value. Just as Exotic Sports Cars, Yachts and Gulfstream airplanes can be afforded by a certain few, this is the category Mayor James' "One of a Kind" High Rollers Collection is in."
This magnificent table is hand-carved mahogany - has all the original accessories, including a set of large, worn old dice with holes drilled through them, various denominations of chips, chip rack and cover, bakelite chip tray, croupier sticks, money box, on, off, buy, sell chips, original money paddle, provenance in 8" x 10" frames used for display, and much more. It is in excellent condition. It was used illegally and professionally at Club Unique also known as Cap's Place just north of Miami in Lighthouse Point. In 1946 Cap's Place was under pressure from the FBI to close down illegal gambling operations, this Craps was moved to New Orleans to prevent it from being destroyed and was used at the "Original Club Forest owned by Carlos Marcello, Al Schorling and the famous Mills Brothers -- Henry, Frank and Arthur." * www. NewOrleansHistorical.org text=According to Al Kleindienst
Caps Place opened around 1928 and received world attention when President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Prime Minister Winston Churchill held a series of secret war conferences right here in "Cap's Place." It isn't recorded if they did any gambling while there. What do you think? The present owner, Tom Hasis, of Cap's Place said Meyer Lansky and many other famous people played on this table. Cap's Place is still open as a restaurant and serves fantastic seafood.
(Affidavit of provenance, appraisals and research books are available to buyer)
This very interesting to read on how "Craps" got it's name
In the early 1800's Bernard Marigny from New Orleans traveled to France to visit his friend, Johnny Crapaud. This game in France was called the "Dice Game." Mr. Marigny liked the game so much that he had a table shipped to New Orleans for him and his friends to play on. This is how the "Dice Game" was introduced to America. Bernard and his friends called it "Johnny Crapauds Game." It was later shortened to "Craps" for Johnny's last name. Bernard was a wild gambler. There is a street in the French Quarter named after him.
* Page 89 - Taken from the Historical Record at Fontainbleu State Park in Mandeville, Louisiana. ( original documentation available to buyer)
PLEASE CLICK ON ALL PICTURES TO ENLARGE
Circa 1920 Roulette Table with Original Ivory Ball
This mahogany Roulette Table was acquired at World Renowned Rau Antiques in New Orleans. It is on hand-carved bear claw feet. It is from the Great Gatsby Era also known as the "ROARING TWENTIES." It is in pristine condition and has all the original accessories with it including the ivory ball and the original money box and the original key. It is the exact mate to the Black Jack Table.
(Dimensions: Roulette wheel 31" wide, Table 5' wide, 8' 9" long, 43" at the narrow point, 35 1/2" high).
PLEASE CLICK ON ALL PICTURES TO ENLARGE
CIRCA 1920 BLACK JACK TABLE
This Black Jack Table is made of mahogany with hand-carved bear claw feet and is from "The Roaring Twenties" - also known as The Great Gatsby Era.
(Dimensions: 40" wide, 6' long, 37" high).
It is in magnificent condition and is the perfect mate to the Roulette Table from the same era with both having hand carved bear claw feet.
Recent appraisal and research books on this collection were done by Florida State Historian, Roland Castro. He has agreed to participate in making an exhibit an exceptional recapture of a by gone era.
Mr. Castro was a celebrity guest appraiser on the Antiques Roadshow. He is a graduate of the University of Miami and has traveled all over the world seeking knowledge and history on all exclusive art forms.